Monday, May 16, 2016

#MicroblogMondays: Letter to the buyer

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

On Friday, our condo listing went live. Grey and I have been preparing ourselves for years for this moment. Watching the market, doing repairs and updates to our condo that we could afford and would meet our needs. After a fail-start of trying to sell directly to our renters, the decision was made to take the plunge and actually list.

Our unit has been on the market for a total of 4 days. This morning we got an offer for more than the list price, without contingency of financing and a request to close as soon as possible.

In the packet of material we got from this potential buyer was a letter to Grey and me, with her talking about how she loves the unit, the views, the location and all we've done. How there's so much potential with the space. The excitement in this possibility is there and she's hoping we will accept. As I read through the letter, my own narrative began to fill in for a response that likely will never be. The things that will be left unsaid.

Like that first night in our condo after we purchased it, standing out on the balcony to watch the sunset.

Or the time Grey was teaching me how to wire a two-way light switch, which resulted in a pop, leading to a trip to the hardware store. After he rewired the switches and was testing them, I waited till he flipped the top switch 10 times before yelling "BANG!" He still hasn't forgive me for that one.

Or the time S.ears delivery failed to drop off our new stove, leaving me to cancel the order, enlist a new neighbor and drive up to the store to purchase one there, only to turn around and drive it back to our place that evening for me to install. 

And, of course, there's the memories revolving around infertility. The corners I cried in, the doors that were slammed, the stairs I collapsed on when I learned I was miscarrying, the floors that were being replaced during that failed FET.

But also those same stairs the Beats learned to climb up. The windows we stood holding them to show them the mountains. The kitchen sink where they got their first baths and later the bathtub they would bathe in together.

A decade of memories in a place we called home.

Tonight Grey and I will go through this offer, but it is likely we will accept it. Beginning the process of closing this door on a chapter of our lives.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats! More than your list price and with a fast closing? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the offer, and starting the process of closing that chapter. There is part of me that will always feel similarly about our first apartment. Those memories of opening the fridge to find the Follistim are quite clear...lol. Anyway, I'm so glad that you have a new place to call home and that things are going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, beautiful post on the highs and lows of your place, the hard memories and the lovely ones, the despair and the hope. I love that the buyer sent you a letter. I hope you build amazing memories in the next place you inhabit...it sounds like this place would be hard to beat. Congrats on getting an offer so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you are feeling; we, too, are leaving our house of ten years behind, closing a chapter of lost pregnancies, and raspberries for breakfast in the summer, and borrowing things from neighbors, and that time I won an ice cream block party ... you have inspired another post from me. Wishing you peace in the closure, and sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Big moment. No one can take away those memories, but it's an odd feeling to know that you can't really go back into a place and feel them in the same space. Sending a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bittersweet, isn't it? I'm glad you've found a buyer so quickly, and that they are so enamored with the place. When that happened to us, it made letting go easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That closing a chapter sense is always a bit complex, I think. So many memories, and you've captured that so beautifully here. Congratulations on the offer and sending thoughts for the letting go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't care whether you move around the world or across the street: Moving is always stressful and emotionally-charged. You expressed it beautifully. Best of luck to you guys in all the chapters to come. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our house went in four days too, albeit not over asking (although that's not unheard of around here). Bittersweet indeed. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved