Friday, September 22, 2017

Just add vodka

My career is on a rollercoaster at the moment. There are many, many high moments, where everything is exciting and there seems to be so much potential. But then there are the lows. The emails that start out with "We're really interested, but . . ." Or the seemingly simple tasks that turn into mountains in almost a flash.

Yesterday was filled with those lows. After spending the morning nursing a migraine, what should have been a simple experiment proved far more complex. Hours later, with no clear answer in sight (I think the issue is the filters, but need to test), I got an email that basically killed with grant writing endeavors for a program I want to get off the ground. The cherry on top was running into someone who was an undergraduate while I was a graduate student. Turns out he has not only finished his PhD, but is now the founder of a start-up in the same facility the community lab is housed. Clearly I have been slacking for the past 6 years.
Evidence of complete failure
I know, I know: "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" (thank you Dale Carnegie). And really, there's a lot of good that is still happening, even though I feel completely out of sorts with it all at the moment.

Still, sometimes (often times), I just want to add vodka. Anything to dull the pain that is in my head, blurring out the anxiety that comes from realizing that the clock ticking.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Cristy -- I'm thinking of you. There's nothing quite like having those moments that make you question everything you've ever done. I'm glad you have those highs, though, because you are doing something wonderful in taking a risk and following a new dream -- it's brave, and inspiring. I always liked "When life gives you lemons, make limoncello" myself. :) Wishing you all the best, and other grants in the future that have emails that start with, "We are pleased to..." Love to you, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. I am in a similar place now. Maybe we need to sit down together with some limoncello. That's the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. So sorry girl. I hate moments like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slacking for the past couple of years? Umm I would say that going through infertility and having twins would never put you in the category of a "slacker." Don't think too much about what someone else is doing- put your head down and focus on your future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^^ What Non Sequitur Chica said. I've always been rather partial to vodka myself. ;) How I would love to meet up with all of you at a bar somewhere for limoncellos!

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved